Manager, Food Safety & Quality Assurance
Country Fresh, Inc. is the leading producer of fresh cut fruit and vegetables. The Manager, Food Safety & Quality Assurance has overall responsibility for ensuring that all food safety and quality requirements are implemented at plant level to ensure that all products are safe and fresh for our customers.
This Manager, Food Safety & Quality Assurance reports directly to the Director, Food Safety & Quality Assurance and based in our Houston, TX production facility.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing in a cold/wet environment for the purpose of data collection and process evaluation. Must be able to lift up to 35 pounds at times.
- Ensures that all food safety, product quality and regulatory requirements exceed industry and customer standards, are implemented and in compliance with company standards and are being adhered to.
- Daily review of food safety and quality records to ensure compliance with company’s FSQMS and to recommend corrective actions in the process where indicated.
- Manage routine sampling, inspection and evaluation of materials incoming raw material, work in process (WIP) and finished goods. Coordinate routine microbiological testing in accordance with company defined protocols.
- Placing non-conforming goods on hold in accordance with the company’s Segregation Program. Review and recommend disposition of held raw material, WIP and finished products.
- Monitor Pest Control Program to ensure it meets customer and third-party audit requirements.
- Support internal and external audits, as well as prepare information in response to upcoming audit needs. Conduct routine internal audits and review of all policies and programs including pre-operational sanitation inspections, GMP inspections, pest control inspections, etc.
- Proactively identify and drive process improvement initiatives which contribute to long-term operational excellence and align with the company’s priorities.
- Maintain routine quality reporting systems and summary information to establish database and summary information for future quality or organizational needs.
- Work closely with operations, supply chain and logistics teams in the areas of quality program management, inspection coordination and testing requirements.
- Assist in the development of new products, process improvements and application of ingredients. Audit and recommend procedures and specifications during and following "new product" test runs for adequacy of Q.A. functional coverage.
- Build and maintain a strong QA/FS team by providing coaching and training. Assist associates in receiving outside training when needed.
- Ensures direction and training for team members and supervisors. Responsible for budget and costs associated with overseeing the Department. This includes compliance and schedules for training, Food Safety and Quality Systems audits.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Safety, Regulatory Compliance or a related field or an equivalent work history in those disciplines desired.
- Strong background in the areas of microbiology and food science with a minimum of 5 years work experience
- 5+ years with direct customer interface and support around Quality and Food Safety
- 3+ years in a leadership role
- Ability to effectively articulate and present the company's Food Safety and Quality strategy as it relates to senior management, regulatory bodies, and customers
- Think independently to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and changes affecting food safety and develop and recommend appropriate program changes to ensure governmental compliance.
- Proven ability to operate successfully in a rapidly growing organization, inclusive of demonstrated ability to coordinate efforts in addressing regulatory issues. Ability to formulate solutions from a broad perspective.
- Knowledge of product traceability required
- Comprehensive knowledge of HAACP and GMPs
- Excellent organizational skills including time management, priority setting, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn and utilize job relevant software
- HACCP Certification and SQF Certification. PCQI desired
We're Driven By Our Core Values
Treat people fairly and respect that everyone has the ability to think, learn and improve.
Embody a Culture of Safety Excellence
Always do the right thing to protect our people, our brand and our customer’s brand.
Achieving excellence in innovation and performance in a sustainable manner. Success depends on the commitment of everyone.
Embrace and manage change to be competitive and innovative.
Love Food and Everything Associated With Food
A passion for food drives innovation and performance.
We celebrate the uniqueness of all people to create a place where everyone feels valued and respected.
Meet the Country Fresh Company Brands
The Country Fresh Company provides full-service fresh solutions for retail, foodservice, club and convenience stores including merchandising and category support. We are the leading providers of fresh-cut fruits and vegetables and fresh snacking products.